Thursday, November 22, 2012

Unbearable

"Coming between a female and her cubs can be dangerous. If a cub is nearby, try to move away from it.   Be alert; other cubs may be in the area."

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/wildlife/WildBearDeerEncntr.html


I've always heard that if you see a bear cub, turn around and go the back the way you came, because Mom can't be far behind.  According to some things I've read recently, this may be a non-urban legend where the American Black Bear is concerned.  But I have no desire to do research.


So when this little guy showed up, hanging around our camp, I was a bit skeptical about being outside when he was around.

Ice Cream
Actually, I suspected he was around before I actually saw him.  He left a calling card.  It pays to know your scat!  (If you happen to find this offensive in any way, just pretend it is "Death by Chocolate" ice cream.  At least it's not as disgusting as one of my previous posts...)

But after a few days, it became apparent that this guy was all alone.  When we saw him moving back and forth across our side yard, there was never anyone with him.  Mom had either pushed him out to fend for himself, or some hunter had made him an orphan.  
I'm outta here.


Yep, I'm leaving.


On second though, maybe I'll provide a photo op.

I'm not a bear expert, but he looks on the small side to be able to make it through the winter.  He also doesn't look plump enough to live on his fat through the cold months.  But maybe he'll find a deep warm den and beat the odds.


A few moons later, he was gone.

  I wish him well.
Maybe he's out there toward the sunset.

3 comments:

  1. At least there wasn't a photo of a shredded knee brace and a pair of bent wire-rimmed eyeglasses. -- Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your next door neighbor had him stuffed for his kids.

    ReplyDelete