Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A few more images from Brooklyn and thereabouts

Photogenic place...but first, Brooklyn's Best.

Here they come!
Amazing how quickly they responded.


Quickly and artfully into the building.

Not in use, this trip.

Ready to go.

On the way out through the narrow street.

We were on our way out of the building where Molly, longtime friend of the family, resides.  Someone phoned in a fire call.  Multiple trucks and a squadron of firemen were there in a flash.  Serious business for them...a photo op for me.

Retrospectively, it was comforting to see the speed and force with which they responded.  The reason?  False alarm, this time.  One of the penthouse folk had a fog machine and the overspill looked like a fire to a passerby.  


Or maybe it was itching, burning feet.

Some fine views the next day.

Impressive view from the Brooklyn waterfront.

Not sure that a stained glass water tower is all that useful,
but lit up by the sun, it sure was pretty.

What is this?
In an old building converted to trendy diner,
original touches remain.

Mary's cookbook presented as an antique.
I still use this cookbook when I have to figure out difficult cooking tasks.
Like boiling water.

As tasty as it was photogenic.
Do you see me taking the picture?

"You took your camera into the bathroom!?!"

Slightly off-Brooklyn, a look across the reservoir in Central Park.

We stopped into Cooper Hewitt, the Smithsonian Design Museum.
In 1935, this pitcher may have sailed on the SS Normandie, a French cruise ship.

Don't you love stainless steel?
This is the most beautiful meat slicer in the world,
looking pretty good at 76 years of age.
I hope all you vegans can appreciate the beauty.


Love it!
What would the Founding Fathers say?

Mr. Wright built an interesting building.


Imposing, up close.

"Klaatu barada nikto"


In support of fledgling industries,
it is now a requirement that all tourists visit a local brewery.


"Mary, I've got a great idea for the decor at the camp!"

It's a really good idea to visit breweries with young people.
They may pick you up if you fall on the way home.
Only my ego was damaged.


All good things must come to an end.
Heading home in the most interesting of mobile melting pots.


Goodnight, Uptown.


Goodnight, Downtown.


Goodnight, Moon!

6 comments:

  1. I guess Brooklyn and surrounding areas are nice to visit, but I certainly do not miss living in that part of our state at all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I would enjoy it, either. I guess we're Upstate Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! Love the Guggenheim photos, and that lovely meat slicer brought back some memories. My high school and early college years were assisted by my wages from the Old Way Market, where I worked one of those slicers (or very similar) many weekends. Had to break it down and clean it every Sat. as I remember. Had to be very careful around that blade. Got me a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That the blade got you made you realize you were a piece of meat, correct? Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. New York. New York ! my kind of town ....

    ReplyDelete