Monday, April 10, 2017

Much Better When You Stop

There are places we drive past again and again that pique our interest.  "Someday I'll check it out," we say, and never do.  

Not so, this fine Monday.  A trip to the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge was the order of the day.  The destination, even.  Not just a hurried stop along the way.  Finally, I'd be able to find out everything about those halls I've heard so much about.

But first, the swamp.


Not a bright sunny day, but not bad for early April
in Upstate New York.

Occasionally the sun would pop out and illuminate the cat-tails.
I think the volunteers keep the invasive phragmites under control.
Otherwise there would be no view beyond those lofty plants.
I'm pretty sure they take their name from a tribe of tall evil invaders
in the Bible's book of Hydroponicus.


And it would be a shame not to be able to see the ducks.

Lots of them, and lots of different kinds.
They seem to enjoy swimming.


We can cross the Goldeneye Duck off our "to be seen" list.
I wonder why they're called that.

The Mrs. and Mr., I believe.

The bufleheads were also in residence.

A buck for each duck fills a truck.

Such diversity so close to the NY State Thruway.
Seems like maybe we've done something right here,
even though the proximity must take its toll.


Taking off!

Love the splashes as they run along the water.

Also nice to see them fly.


Pony tails are in.

I love to watch these prehistoric-looking herons fly.
Very purposeful and graceful.


The tree holds court over the canal beyond the swamp.





Black ducks with a white bill?
No, these are coots!
I've been called one many times, and now I know why.
They're elegant and lovely!



Dad focusses on Mom with gosling.

A different duo drips after dunking.

Incoming and...


Splashdown.

After visiting Montezuma proper,
we went on a wild goose chase to find the sandhill cranes,
but only saw a few hawks and this killdeer.
I was convinced he only had one leg until he took off showing both.

The refuge claims 3 nesting pairs of eagles within the confines,
but we only saw this scary replica.
I would not want to meet an eagle this size, regardless of national symbolism.

All in all, a fine day at the edge of the swamp.  But we didn't see any halls during the entire escapade.  We'll have to go back and search again.


7 comments:

  1. Nice photos! You know there is another great place west of here you should visit, the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge. Let me know if you want to go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually been there a few times in the distant past. Another nice place.

      Delete
  2. Nice. Makes me want to take a detour there... someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To quote Shrek: "What are you doing in my swamp...!?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. We keep saying someday too, maybe our someday will come soon, who knows, we always seem to be rushing past...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have had to add Goldeneye Duck back to the list. Evan tells me that is a Lesser Scaup, and I believe he is right. Gotta go back and look at the pictures...I think I saw a Goldeneye too.

    ReplyDelete