Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rochester at the Genesee


I found myself in Rochester, NY one brisk morning in February.  It's an interesting place.  

Camera in hand, I heard the river call.

Looking south and upstream from the Broad Street Bridge.
The Genesee flows north, which is unusual for rivers in the northern hemisphere.

Nice brickwork on Rochester Gas and Electric Station #6.
Interesting how one can drive by a building 100 times and never notice it.

This is the Times Square Building.
I think Spiderman swung from the top.

Some call these top structures "The Wings of Progress,"
but the correct name is "Bunny Ears."

The parabola upstream is a bridge.

The dam floods the rapids upstream.
Not as interesting to look at, but much improved for the rowers during the warm months.

The Broad Street Bridge, formally the Erie Canal Aqueduct over the Genesee.
This will make a nice post card, don't you think?

Almost as nice as this one.
Same bridge, different day.
And here is Mercury,
looking speedy even though the mercury has contracted.

He's especially quick at changing light bulbs.


5 comments:

  1. i do look forward to your updates. always brightens my day. :)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if he cleans ceiling fans too.
    Thanks for the Rochester tour!

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm calling you on the rivers flowing North thing; I can think of several :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will bow to your wisdom, Master Geographer, if you can name 5.

      Delete