Saturday, January 31, 2015

Flakey Business

It's a beautiful day!

I don't need to go anywhere,
and the snowblower is broken,
so it's time to ski!


More fun in the flakes!  Do you embrace or decry?

The monochrome world.
But this picture doesn't properly tell the story.

That's more like it.
The flakes were driven into my face by the northwesterly wind.

Knowing what is close and far is easy
since contrast fades as the distance increases.

Do you also hear the narrow bridge calling?
"You can make it...slide down the hill and across me."

The view from across the bridge and up the hill on the other side.


It's a beautiful sun-shiny day!

Hope I have enough sunscreen on.


One track up, one track down.



Where is everyone on this fine day?

There must be at least 50 shades of gray in this picture.
Perhaps that would be a good title for a book about cross-country skiing.

Time to head back home.
Sometimes gloves are not kind to fingers.
I should have worn my mittens.

Yes, it is snowing, and there are flakes the size of houses.
Some of them look like google-eyed men with long noses.
And a small beanie.


It's always easier to follow your track back home.

Especially when you keep your skis in the tracks.

Interesting how the same narrative can engender multiple reactions.  Some will be glad they can experience this, while others will reconfirm their decision to avoid it altogether.  A few will wish they could share the joy, and yet another group will lament being trapped in an unforgiving climate they don't believe they can escape.

Which group is yours?

12 comments:

  1. I'm in the Sunny Florida group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Predictable, but truth be told, when March approaches, I'm in that group too.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that I can experience it - but I've chosen to stay indoors so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to conserve your BTUs for when you venture out into tonight's zero degrees F.

      Delete
  3. I‘m in the camp that is back from a trek to the similarily snowy environ of Illinois. Greatful for your pictures so that I may enjoy them without the expenditure of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want summer to arrive. Stat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put you in the group of Latin abbreviators who should be in Florida or Arizona.

      Delete
  5. "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."
    Henry David Thoreau - Walden

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - you say Gray, but I see Grey! Magnificent Diorama! A Grand Nostalgia provided. Vielen dank (aka: many thanks). krn

    ReplyDelete